We all know the saying that a picture is worth 1000 words.
As we learned in a previous blog post, ‘What Makes a Great Website Photo,’ images are processed 60,000 times faster than words. An image or video can convey complex or multiple ideas in a matter of seconds.
So finding the perfect photo/video for your website is crucial.
So where can I find the top website for free and paid stock photos and videos for your website?
That is a great question!
In this blog post, we will discuss websites that offer both free and paid stock photos and videos that you can license for your website.
Free Stock Photos and Videos
- Unsplash: Renowned for its high-quality and diverse collection of free photos. It’s a community-driven platform where photographers share their work.
- Pexels: Offers a wide range of free stock photos and videos. Their collection is particularly strong in lifestyle and nature imagery.
- Pixabay: Another great source for free stock photos, vectors, and art illustrations. It also has a decent selection of free videos.
- Burst by Shopify: Specifically designed for entrepreneurs, Burst provides free stock photos that are perfect for online stores and commercial websites.
- Videvo: For free stock videos, Videvo is a go-to source. They offer a range of clips, although the free selection might come with certain usage restrictions.
Paid Stock Photos and Videos
- Shutterstock: One of the largest and most popular platforms for paid stock photos and videos. They offer a vast selection, with various pricing plans including subscription and pay-per-download options.
- iStock by Getty Images: Known for its premium quality images and videos. iStock offers both credit-based purchases and subscription plans.
- Adobe Stock: Integrated seamlessly with Adobe’s Creative Cloud, Adobe Stock offers high-quality images, videos, and even templates and 3D assets.
- Getty Images: This is the go-to place for exclusive and high-end stock photos and videos. It’s a bit pricier, but the quality and uniqueness of its collection justify the cost for many.
- Depositphotos: Offers a diverse library of stock photos and videos with flexible pricing plans, including pay-as-you-go and subscription options.
Tips for Choosing the Right Stock Photos and Videos
- Understand the License: Always check the licensing terms, especially with free resources. Some may require attribution or have restrictions on commercial use.
- Quality Over Quantity: Focus on the quality of the images and videos rather than just the quantity. A few high-quality visuals are better than many mediocre ones.
- Consistency is Key: Ensure that the style of stock photos and videos is consistent with your brand and website theme.
- Optimize for Web: Be mindful of the file sizes, as large images and videos can slow down your website.
All of the paid services offer both stock images and videos. So if you are in a time crunch, pick your favorite website and spend a few hours locating everything you need.
Just because an image/video looks great by itself doesn’t mean it will look great on your website.
Before you purchase a license, download a preview of the image/video so your website designer can show you what it will look like on your website.
Not all images/videos work in every section of your website and you don’t want your message to become confusing.
Once you are happy with how the image/video works, then go back to the company and purchase a license.
If you haven’t read our other website photography posts be sure to check them out. In our previous posts, we have talked about: What Makes a Great Website Photo, How to Shoot Your Own Website Photos, How to Hire a Local Photographer, and Top Websites for Free and Paid Stock Photos and Videos for Your Website.